How To Care for Your Spa Year Round
Year Round Tips For Hot Tub Care
• Always make sure that your hot tub maintains the proper chemical levels no matter how often you use it. If you do not, you can allow algae and bacteria to grow in your spa (especially during the warmer months), and the next time you climb in, you will be fighting the new growth.
• Regularly clean your spa with a non-abrasive cleanser and a soft rag to remove dirt and other debris.
• Always rinse off in the shower before climbing into the hot tub to keep soap, lotions, detergents, etc. out of the water.
• Drain your hot tub at the beginning of each season to prevent cloudiness and to help keep your spa clean.
• Clean your filter at least once a month, and more often if you are using your hot tub regularly.
• Always keep your hot tub covered when it is not in use.
Using Your Hot Tub in the Winter
Use a Winter Blanket
A spa thermal blanket floats on top of the water acting like an extra insulator. The floating plastic blanket keeps the warm air in and the cold air out. They are perfect for the cold winter months.
Ensure It is Operating Correctly
Before winter hits, make sure that your spa is working properly. Check all nozzles, hoses, pipes, jets, filters, etc. so that you won’t have any surprises mid-winter.
Remove Snow and Ice Promptly
Snow and ice buildup can cause a hot tub cover to sag, allowing water and debris to enter the water. Gently remove snow and ice by using a push broom. Never scrape at the ice, as this can damage the cover.
Keep It Heated
It is important to keep hot water circulating through the pipes even when you are not using your hot tub to prevent freezing.